My first week in Edinburgh has officially come to an end
and as it breaks into the early hours of Monday
my mind's ticking through my 10am philosophy lecture
my awkwardly cold feet
the maddening end to Chapter 3 in the novel One Day
(that's right, I'm reading the book before seeing the film)
and that despite my infinite collection of pens
(went a bit crazy at the trades fair)
I have absolutely no paper.
Hmm.
Of course, now that I've sat down and begun thinking
I think about friends.
The friends I've left behind and the friends I'm about to make.
They told me I would meet my 'true' friends at university
and it's that exact phrase that has me concerned.
Obviously it sounds wonderful
to meet people you gel with
who laugh when you laugh
who may also share a slight obsession with buffet food and peanut butter
The thing that's got me though, is WHEN.
When will these 'true' friends pop into existence?
I thought they already existed.
Are there more hiding on floor 3 of Baird House?
Or are we yet to cross paths?
The pressure of starting up in a new place has put this desperate look on my face,
as though I have
- PLEASE BE MY BEST FRIEND -
written on my forehead
and it can't be very attractive.
I've got to wipe that look off my face.
Starting tomorrow.
Deal.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thank you for the recommendation, India, there was actually a song by Ben Howard on that MOJO compilation disc and I really liked the link you sent! You have impeccable taste in music too! :-)
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I'm sooooooo glad to see that you're back and regularly blogging again. Hope Uni is going alright... and I have to say, One Day is such an amazing book. It's definitely worth it. I'm going to go see the film tomorrow, can't wait :-)
And I am sure that you don't have "PLEASE BE MY BEST FRIEND" on your forehead, I'm sure everyone is in the same boat haha :-)
So glad to see that you're well and I look forward to reading your blog more regularly again!
Chloe xxx
Hey India,
ReplyDeleteI missed your blogposts! For a moment I thought you left the blogscene forever :)
Lovely picture by the way.
And about the 'Please be my best friend' on your forehead? I think everyone would want a friend like you, you're pretty cool, so don't worry! Uni is starting next week for me and I don't know anyone yet, so I guess I'll go through the same thing.
Keep on blogging ;)
Ruth